Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches
Summer is about taking it easy… and that means taking shortcuts in the kitchen when you can, so you can get out of there fast and do all that other fun stuff that you can’t do when there’s snow on the ground and it’s 22 degrees outside!
We whipped up some Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches yesterday that almost disappeared before dinner because the smell of the cinnamon and the creamy sweet taste of the ice cream dripping down our fingers was nearly too much to resist.
First I’m going to tell you how YOU are going to make these (in a way that will make it easier), and then I’m going to tell you how MAMA made these (because she had a little bit of extra time).
1. Buy Snickerdoodle Cookie Mix at the grocery store. When you make the recipe according to the package directions, use a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon to measure out the cookie dough before putting it on the baking sheet. This will make the cookies small enough for an individual ice cream sandwich.
2. Buy Cinnamon Ice Cream. If you can’t find any, buy plain ol’ vanilla ice cream and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the ice cream before you put the second cookie on top to make the sandwich.
3. Make sure the cookies are completely cool before assembling the ice cream sandwiches. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of ice cream on the bottom (the side that was on the cookie sheet) of the first cookie, add a little cinnamon if needed, and top with the second cookie, bottom side down.
4. Put them in the freezer as you work so they can harden up…and you won’t eat them all ahead of time!
1. I bought Snickerdoodle Cookie Mix, and used a teaspoon to make the cookies.
2. I made homemade ice cream, adding two teaspoons of cinnamon to the basic recipe in Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream at Home Cookbook. (Link)
3. When my cookies were completely cool, I spooned about 2 tablespoons of ice cream on the bottom of one cookie and topped it (bottom side down) with another cookie other.
4. I put them in the freezer as I went along so they’d harden up.
If you can’t tell… Mama is practically addicted to ice cream... and that’s just fine with the fam, because it means more homemade ice cream treats for them. I have a great idea for yet another ice cream sandwich, but you’re going to need to check back next week to see what it is!