Welcome to MamásLatinas
join our community and talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

What is your preferred language?

English Español
I'm bilingual

By signing up, you certify that you are female, at least 16 years old, and accept the Terms of Service

I want to make Paella

• 15 Replies
  • 3 moms liked this

I really like sea food .. when I was in Chicago every pay day we would go to a Spanish Restaurant "Cafe Iberico " to have paella and sangria .. or tapas with sangria .. so good.

I would like to be able to make a paela one day ... I live very close to a fish market so I know they have what I need.. 

Do you have any recepies ? Or you have a tip for me ? Would you share !!!

I got this recipe on Pinterest looks good and I think I can do it.

CRW_4840

Seafood Paella (serves 3 or 2 really generously)

1 1/4 cups of Spanish Bomba rice

4 cups of chicken stock (or fish stock)

1 glass of white wine (for the paella)

1/2 glass of white wine (for the mussels and clams)

1 pinch of saffron

30 mussels

20 clams

15 large prawns

1/2 onion

1 stalk of celery

1 fennel bulb

2 garlic cloves

8” chorizo sausage – sliced across ways

small handful (total) of chopped fresh basil and parsley

olive oil

lemon wedges

Finely chop the onion, celery, fennel and garlic. Scrub the mussel shells, and debeard. Scrub the clam shells. Peel the shrimp, and de-vein if required. Discard any mussels or clams that have broken shells, or are open and don’t close up tight when you scrub them.

In a small pan, warm the stock over a low heat.

Put the saffron in the white wine, and let it infuse for at least 10 minutes.

Heat the paella pan over a medium heat, and add two tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot add in the onion, celery and fennel. Cook gently until soft – about 10 minutes. Add in the garlic, and cook for another minute. Stir in the rice, and let it absorb some of the oil. Add in the chorizo. Turn up the heat and pour in the white wine. Let this boil for a minute, and then add in most of the stock. Gently stir.

Let this boil gently for 5 minutes. Add in the prawns, and cook for a further 15 minutes. You will want to gently stir this from time to time, to make sure everything is heating evenly. If it looks like the rice is absorbing all the stock too early (before the 15 minutes is up) add a little more in.

For authentic paella you want to stop yourself from stirring the dish during the last half of cooking. Apparently the best paella has a crust on the bottom of the rice (where the rice is in contact with the pan) – this is only achieved through not stirring.

With a few minutes to go in the cooking process, put a large pan over a high heat. Add in the 1/2 glass of white wine, and get it boiling. When it has reduced by about half, toss in the mussels and clams. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to medium-high. These will take about 3 minutes to steam open. You should be able to hear them pop open, and a lovely wiff of the sea will start to come up from the pan. Discard any mussels or clams that haven’t opened.

Arrange the bivalves in the paella, sprinkle with the basil and parsley. and let sit for a few minutes, off the heat for the flavors to meld together. Serve with the lemon wedges and three forks.

GABY☀

Replies (1-10):
Poodles
1 mom liked this

I'd probably like if it was just one meat---scallops I'd like, but not with a meat combo. 

ML Veronica

My husband has been asking me to make Paella since we got together!! LOL!!

I don't like touching certain types of fish so I told him he has to help me. I also heard that it's good if you buy a Paella pan but not sure where I could find one?

What's Spanish bomba rice?

Gabycr

Really I know Sam's have sometimes a bag of seafood ready for paella .. the rice is just a type of rice .. can be order online or buy in store

Quoting ML Veronica:

My husband has been asking me to make Paella since we got together!! LOL!!

I don't like touching certain types of fish so I told him he has to help me. I also heard that it's good if you buy a Paella pan but not sure where I could find one?

What's Spanish bomba rice?

GABY☀

paola1984

I should try it too I've never made it

Gabycr

Im thinking about Valentines day to do it because we don't go anywhere we don't babysitter so maybe would be somehting different  .. 

Quoting paola1984:

GABY☀

ML Veronica

That sounds like a great idea!

Quoting Gabycr:

Im thinking about Valentines day to do it because we don't go anywhere we don't babysitter so maybe would be somehting different  .. 

Quoting paola1984:

libelulalatina

I'd never done paella. I don't think is something for me, I like rice and sea food, but not "revueltos" lol. it looks good though

thehappypig

I have a few paella pans  and a special burner for the paella.  It is not easy to make and it is called paella because of the pan uesd to make it.  No recipe is going to work because it is a complicated dish.  personally I do not like Bomba rice for the paella.  It is not very trustworthy and you will end up with overcooked grains and others will be completely raw.  you can buy the rice that says paella rice or risotto and those would work fine.  I do not recomend buying those frozen paella seafood because they will mess up your liquid content.  

Now, as for instructions on how to make it, research videos on you tube.  Some of the, explain how to measure the liquid and rice.  It is not by cuos measure, but rather by measure,ents on your pan.  I do not recomend doing it i. The stove, but rather using a weber grill(round, classsic pne) in order to be able to control the temp.  Some people do them in the oven.  Personally I do not like them from the oven.  

Seafood is not the easiest or traditional paella.  Now, take under consideration that most of the items are cooked separate and then added back to the paella.  If you really want a great paella it is worth searching for the best seafood you can get.  There is also a seasoning called pae.lero, but I don't think it tastes that good.  You can buy all the ingredients(except seafood) at latienda.com, or also check donajuana.com.  Hope that helps.

Gabycr

thanks for sharing your experience with me and others really nice of you .. Yeah before I cook something for the first time I do a good reserch I don't like to waist food but also I'm the kind of person learns from mistakes .. I know is a not an easy dish but I'm thinking about it .. 

Quoting thehappypig:

I have a few paella pans  and a special burner for the paella.  It is not easy to make and it is called paella because of the pan uesd to make it.  No recipe is going to work because it is a complicated dish.  personally I do not like Bomba rice for the paella.  It is not very trustworthy and you will end up with overcooked grains and others will be completely raw.  you can buy the rice that says paella rice or risotto and those would work fine.  I do not recomend buying those frozen paella seafood because they will mess up your liquid content.  

Now, as for instructions on how to make it, research videos on you tube.  Some of the, explain how to measure the liquid and rice.  It is not by cuos measure, but rather by measure,ents on your pan.  I do not recomend doing it i. The stove, but rather using a weber grill(round, classsic pne) in order to be able to control the temp.  Some people do them in the oven.  Personally I do not like them from the oven.  

Seafood is not the easiest or traditional paella.  Now, take under consideration that most of the items are cooked separate and then added back to the paella.  If you really want a great paella it is worth searching for the best seafood you can get.  There is also a seasoning called pae.lero, but I don't think it tastes that good.  You can buy all the ingredients(except seafood) at latienda.com, or also check donajuana.com.  Hope that helps.

GABY☀

Sigueme !!! cafecito / cafecito

Gabycr

is really good but if you go to a good place :)

Quoting libelulalatina:

I'd never done paella. I don't think is something for me, I like rice and sea food, but not "revueltos" lol. it looks good though

GABY☀

Sigueme !!! cafecito / cafecito