Welcome to MamásLatinas
join our community and talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

What is your preferred language?

English Español
I'm bilingual

By signing up, you certify that you are female, at least 16 years old, and accept the Terms of Service

DIY cake frosting

• 10 Replies
Have you ever prepared your own cake frosting?
Posted on MamásLatinas Mobile

Replies (10) displaying 1-10
Poodles

YES and it is delicious!  I will find the recipe and post it!

Poodles

This was my cousin Betty's specialty.  I still call it....

Betty's Frosting

Butter Roux Frosting Recipe

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

PREPARATION:

Cook milk and flour until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to below room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Cream sugar and butter until real fluffy. Add flour mixture, very slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition.

MamisAngels

Seems simple enough! Thanks for sharing.

thumbsup / thumbsup

Quoting Poodles:

Betty's Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

PREPARATION:

Cook milk and flour until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to below room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Cream sugar and butter until real fluffy. Add flour mixture, very slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition.

Follow Me in these groups//Sigueme en estos grupos:
 Food y Recetas Mi Casa

MamisAngels

I made my own frosting not too long ago. I made enough that I saved the rest in a sealed container to use up until it was gone. I used the last of it a couple weeks ago.

With my daughter's birthday next week I was making sure I had all the ingredients to make cupcakes for her class. Well, thinking I had the recipe for the frosting written down somewhere, or bookmarked on the computer or something, I looked & realized I had it nowhere.

The children really liked it, so I figured it would be kid-approved in her classroom as well. I tried searching online to see if I could remember what site I got it from to begin with but no luck yet. Oh well, there are others I can try.

Quoting Poodles:

Follow Me in these groups//Sigueme en estos grupos:
 Food y Recetas Mi Casa

Poodles

I should mention too that the frosting I posted is very light and fluffy, very creamy, buttery...but not sickeningly sweet like a lot of icings. 

I always thought it was most delicious on a stronger flavored cake, like devils's food. 

Poodles

Quoting MamisAngels:

I made my own frosting not too long ago. I made enough that I saved the rest in a sealed container to use up until it was gone. I used the last of it a couple weeks ago.

With my daughter's birthday next week I was making sure I had all the ingredients to make cupcakes for her class. Well, thinking I had the recipe for the frosting written down somewhere, or bookmarked on the computer or something, I looked & realized I had it nowhere.

The children really liked it, so I figured it would be kid-approved in her classroom as well. I tried searching online to see if I could remember what site I got it from to begin with but no luck yet. Oh well, there are others I can try.

Quoting Poodles:

I have my best luck searching allrecipes.com. 

eldayesenia

Si,a mi esposo le gusta mas hecho por mi.

CrissPenaDelao

Quoting Poodles:

Betty's Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

PREPARATION:

tku soooo much poodles dear !!! i always wanted an easy recipe from frosting... i'm gonna try this for san valentine's cupcakes... i just 'll put some of red food coloring ... =)

Poodles

Quoting CrissPenaDelao:

Quoting Poodles:

Betty's Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

PREPARATION:

tku soooo much poodles dear !!! i always wanted an easy recipe from frosting... i'm gonna try this for san valentine's cupcakes... i just 'll put some of red food coloring ... =)

Oh good!  Glad you found something.  I remember Betty always saying tht this one takes LOTS of beating...just beat and beat.  ;)

CrissPenaDelao

cooking / cookinglol Thank you / Gracias 

Quoting Poodles:

Quoting CrissPenaDelao:

Quoting Poodles:

Betty's Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter

PREPARATION:

Oh good!  Glad you found something.  I remember Betty always saying tht this one takes LOTS of beating...just beat and beat.  ;)