Welcome to MamásLatinas
join our community and talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

What is your preferred language?

English Español
I'm bilingual

By signing up, you certify that you are female, at least 16 years old, and accept the Terms of Service

Was anyone directly affected by the storm? Algen estaba affectado por la tormenta?

• 15 Replies

I am in Albany, NY. Three hours away from NYC where 4 yrs ago my household resided. My family is okay. Mom lost a week of work since the Bronx Zoo was closed until yesterday. I lost 2 days of work. Peter lost 1 day of work, but we were really only affected financially. Last year, Irene hit the Capital District of NY hard and Albany was ready. They shut down all public offices and schools. We were blessed. Very little damage if any, mostly just downed tree limbs. I just want to make sure everyone is okay. Was anyone directly affected? My prayers are with everyone back home in the city and NJ.

Yo vivo en Albany, NY. Solamente estoy tres horas de la ciudad a donde hace cuatro anos yo estaba viviendo. Mi familia esta bien. Mami perdio una semana de trabajo porque el Zoologico del Bronx estaba cerrado hasta ayer. Yo perdi dos dias de trabajo y Peter perdio un dia. El ano pasado el hurrican Irene le hizo mucho dano a la aria del Capital de NY. Esta vez estabamos preparado. Todas las oficinas y escuelas serraron. Esta vez uvo una bendicion, y no uvo ningun dano. Quiero asergurar me que todas estan bien? Alguen estaba affectado directamente por la tormenta? Estoy rezando para todos en NY y NJ.

Replies (1-10):
florr
1 mom liked this
Hola me alegra q tu familia y tu estén bien
Yo vivo en queens y aqui Estubo paralizado todo y aún q an echo Lo posible para retornar a la normalidad es difícil
Mi familia esta bien algunos sin luz pero sanos y salvos
acrogodess

Quoting florr:

Hola me alegra q tu familia y tu estén bien
Yo vivo en queens y aqui Estubo paralizado todo y aún q an echo Lo posible para retornar a la normalidad es difícil
Mi familia esta bien algunos sin luz pero sanos y salvos

Gracias a Dios que estan bien. La salud de uno es lo mas importante. La hermana de mi marido y las sobrinas de nosotros estan sin luz pero estamos contento que estan sano y salvo.

florr
1 mom liked this
Quoting acrogodess:

es verdad si tenemos salud podemos con todo Lo demás
Y no podemos quejarnos cuando ai gente q Lo a perdido todo :(
ML Lourdes
2 moms liked this

I'm so glad that you were only affected minimally!  We live in Philly and thankfully we weren't affected.  We didn't lose power or have any flooding.  I was concerned about 2 HUGE trees that are right outside my house but they are still there.

There were areas that were flooded because they were low lying and there were alot of downed trees that affected electricity in the area.  But compared to the damage in NJ it was minimal.

I'm keeping everyone in my prayers =)

acrogodess

I need to call the aquatics director at the YMCA I work for. He has tons of contacts with the Red Cross who he used to work for. I have clothes I want to donate that my son outgrew. It's not much, but it can help at least one or two children who may have nothing.

Quoting ML Lourdes:

I'm so glad that you were only affected minimally!  We live in Philly and thankfully we weren't affected.  We didn't lose power or have any flooding.  I was concerned about 2 HUGE trees that are right outside my house but they are still there.

There were areas that were flooded because they were low lying and there were alot of downed trees that affected electricity in the area.  But compared to the damage in NJ it was minimal.

ML Lourdes
1 mom liked this

That's great! I know that every little bit helps =)  There have been so many random acts of kindness lately.  It's great to see it all =)

Quoting acrogodess:

I need to call the aquatics director at the YMCA I work for. He has tons of contacts with the Red Cross who he used to work for. I have clothes I want to donate that my son outgrew. It's not much, but it can help at least one or two children who may have nothing.

Quoting ML Lourdes:

ML Cathy

Yes this jersey girl was :(  My town has so many trees down they look like pick up sticks.  Sandy blew out all our power & seeing the sky light up in greens  & purples  as the transformers blew up was horrible.  The wind blew & shook our house like crazy & there was nothing to drown out the noise so my 6 & 5 yr old were terrified.

6 days without power, trying to get through in the dark & cold because it was to dangerous to go anywhere & everyone else in the state seem to be just as bad or worst off.

Out highway exit on the NJ Turnpike was destroyed.  All stores were closed & just have started to open again.  The gas situation here is unreal.  People are panicking & forming 2-3 hr lines to get just $30 worth of gas.  Now we are on a system of odd & evens.  If your  license plate ends in an even number you can get gas on even calendar days, if odd then on the odd days & if you end in a letter you are odd.

Seems too unreal to believe.

acrogodess
And to think Romney wants to cut funding to FEMA. :-(

Quoting ML Cathy:

Yes this jersey girl was :(  My town has so many trees down they look like pick up sticks.  Sandy blew out all our power & seeing the sky light up in greens  & purples  as the transformers blew up was horrible.  The wind blew & shook our house like crazy & there was nothing to drown out the noise so my 6 & 5 yr old were terrified.

6 days without power, trying to get through in the dark & cold because it was to dangerous to go anywhere & everyone else in the state seem to be just as bad or worst off.

Out highway exit on the NJ Turnpike was destroyed.  All stores were closed & just have started to open again.  The gas situation here is unreal.  People are panicking & forming 2-3 hr lines to get just $30 worth of gas.  Now we are on a system of odd & evens.  If your  license plate ends in an even number you can get gas on even calendar days, if odd then on the odd days & if you end in a letter you are odd.

Seems too unreal to believe.

Posted on MamásLatinas Mobile
GoyaSnow
1 mom liked this

ok so here in philly i was not directly affected we got alot of wind and rain.. but for the ones that were affected my prayers are with you...

in a way i was affected because we were stuck in the house from sunday until tuesday. and i swear i love my family but their was no escaping them..and the noise.. it made me appreciate what we have and how we take it for granted at times...

loves67
1 mom liked this

No, thank god here in NC just wind, cold and little rain.