Got the kids report cards.

• 12 Replies

My 12 yr old Aloria is all straight A's! woohooo. She's in the higher learning program at school. well they take her to another school once a wk to learn. So we are thrilled.

My son Josiah is 8, in 2nd grade. he has all A's and B's minus one subject. An F in Reading Comprehension. I'm so frustrated with this! He's been in speech therapy since he was 5. So before Kinder. then once he was in grade school they have him in the schools speech therapy. I have spoken to his teacher making sure she knows he has an issue with pronouncing words properly. main reason why it takes him so long to read a word. he knows them, very well in fact. He aces almost all his spelling test. He gets it. This woman just isnt understanding. I'm getting pissed. Yes I know she shouldn't favor a child, but there is proof from us from the school and outside the school Documents showing he has a speech delay. So I know he will be doing summer school for just this subject. I'm so livid. On his math he got an A. His actual grade was 101.3% come on! He's a brainy. I just wish his teacher will just take some time with him. I have spoken to her personally. He has been enrolled in the after school program for his reading as well.. She even said on the notes "josiah's reading has much improved" and yet she gives him an F.

With all of that, I'm working extra with him and his reading. I'm not going to let this bring either one of us down.

Sorry it got long. I'm guessing I'm the first VENT here! yay! ha

Replies (12) displaying 1-10
CaliMom

How awesome both your kids did great! About reading comprehension, my dd is 7 and in 3rd grade,its the one thing that she doesnt do as well in.Its one of those things that slowly develops over time. I think at this age they focus on reading the words correctly and not the meaning of the story. We just started homeschooling again and for some reason my dd is not having trouble in reading comprehension like she did in school. I find when they read stuff that doesnt interest them they dont really retain it.

ML Veronica

Quoting CaliMom:

How awesome both your kids did great! About reading comprehension, my dd is 7 and in 3rd grade,its the one thing that she doesnt do as well in.Its one of those things that slowly develops over time. I think at this age they focus on reading the words correctly and not the meaning of the story. We just started homeschooling again and for some reason my dd is not having trouble in reading comprehension like she did in school. I find when they read stuff that doesnt interest them they dont really retain it.

My daugher is 7 and has difficulty reading. I did notice that if she doesn't pick the book she likes, she's not very interested in reading it, lol

Kgmmw
That's great ;)
Posted on MamásLatinas Mobile
Kgmmw
My 7 yr old dd loves to read

Quoting ML Veronica:

Quoting CaliMom:

My daugher is 7 and has difficulty reading. I did notice that if she doesn't pick the book she likes, she's not very interested in reading it, lol

renee4212

How wonderful that your children do so good in school. I would be upset too if the teacher wasnt working toward a solution to help your son.

DyanaJay

That stinks!I would talk to the school vice principal or someone higher than his teacher to see what could be done.  Also, I suggest finding books that he's interested in reading.  My son loves comics and loves to read Diary of the Wimpy Kid Diaries.  That help his reading level improve.  Good luck!

Krise

We are getting to that point. He does like to read, he does trail off from time to time while reading. I'm going to be on top of him on his reading more so now then ever before. See if that helps. then talk to his teacher. If I'm not getting the results I'm wanting from his teacher then Ill talk to the princ.

luckymomof7
Since your son receives speech therapy from the school, does he have an IEP? If so, then the teacher would be required to adjust the learning material to suit his needs. I would definitely discuss the matter with someone else if the teacher will not help. Good luck!
RainyRain

Awesome job!!!

mama2tresninos

my 9 has always been an A&B honor roll student but this six weeks his grades are in the toilet. I am not sure what happen. its frustrating me