Protecting our Kids as they Surf the Web
What kind of rules & precautions do you have in place to protect your children while they are on the computer & using the internet?
Here are some helpful tips:
- Keep Personal Information Off the Internet
- When your child goes online these are some good basic Internet safety rules to teach them:
- Choose a user name that does not refer to your gender (male – female).
- Do not share any personal information with a real friend without informing parents first.*
- Avoid any negative discussions aimed to influence you about family, teachers or religion.
- Inform your parents if you come across anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Always be aware that anyone you talk to online may not be who they say they are.
- Avoid chat rooms that discuss sex, cults or violence. This could lead to danger.
- Never agree to meet anywhere with someone you do not know online.
- Internet Stalkers and Predators -
- Action Steps for Internet Safety -
- Advantages of using Safety Software and Online Safety Services -
You may want to consider purchasing a quality Internet safety software program or Internet safety service to monitor and filter out undesirable content on your computer. This can provide essential protection for those times you cannot be around or if a child is online while you are at work.
Read more here Internet Safety Rules