Would you give up your high heels if they were bad for your health?

• 11 Replies

I found this in ¿Qué Más?

Would you give up your high heels if they were bad for your health?

Posted by Jenny Mero on January 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Would you give up your sexy heels if research says high heels are bad for your health? Not only do the right heels look good when paired with the right outfit, the three or four extra inches give me a vantage point I don’t naturally have. I don’t know what I’d do without my heels to elevate my not-so-tall frame.  

Sure we all know the immediate perils of walking in high heels. Hello, twisted ankle. But a study found that women who wore high heels faced the risk of shortening the fibers in their calf muscles. Australian researchers, whose study appears in The Journal of Applied Physiology,recruited women who wore high heels for at least 2 years and kept them for 40 hours a week to come up with their findings.

Some of what they found makes sense: it takes more effort to walk in high heels and you don’t travel as far in the same time it takes a woman wearing flats. Did you think about how having your feet perpetually flexed can damage your feet or change how you naturally walk? You literally engage a whole set of different muscles in high heels.

The researchers also found that switching into flats or sneakers was also a risky move for a habitual heel-wearer because they’ve muscles and tendons out of place.

That might explain why I was having trouble when I went running.

These days I opt for flats, unless I absolutely need to wear heels. I haven’t given up heels entirely. I still covet Christian Louboutin shoes —everything from their design to the red soles. But, one thing’s for sure: You’ll never find me running in Kelly Ripa’s High Heel-a-thon.

Considering the risk of wearing high heels, would you give yours up? How do you make sure your feet are in good shape?

Replies (11) displaying 1-10
ML Ingrid

No, I would not give them up. :)

RainyRain

I sure would.

renee4212

I live in heels. I love them. I have been wearing them since I was 15. I would not readily give them up. 

lulusf

i recently tore my achilies tendon so I have been without heels for a while.  I do miss wearing them because they make some outfits that much better, but I can live without them.  I am waiting for the day that I can wear a cute pair of heels again.....*sigh*

1MrsRios1
I would never stop wearing them! Unless I had a cast on my foot (knock on wood) jk
Posted on MamásLatinas Mobile
Kimberlyrose83
I rarely wear them, mostly to church.

But, my mom has been wearing them since she was 13, she is now in her 60s, and she has so many problems with her legs and feet.

She's the reason why, I don't wear them often.
sophiesmom07

I have a hard time in heels as it is...

MrsDianaB
So do I. I'm just glad I never had a job that required me to dress up.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

I have a hard time in heels as it is...

glamorous_mami

actally walking in flats hurts my feet more then walking in heels! so no I wouldnt give them up :) 

Poodles

I can't wear them anyway.  They are already bad for me.