Your language setting controls how you experience MamásLatinas.
What is your preferred language?
By signing up, you certify that you are female, at least 16 years old, and accept the Terms of Service
5 Ways to make your weekend clothes work for the office
Picture it: It's Monday or Tuesday morning and the only clean clothes in your closet is the stuff you have reserved for the weekends. What's a girl to do? Don't worry! Before you decide to hit the stores, remember that with the right details and accessories you can make just about anything in your closet work-appropriate. I had a chat with Saray Barbosa, a Puerto Rican celebrity stylist and personal shopper in NYC, about how you can make some of your most basic and casual pieces work for the office. Check out a few of her amazing tips below!
Read more in ¿Qué más? Refresh your wardrobe for under $75 with these 7 easy pieces
1. A basic T-shirt: "T-shirts are very versatile. This item can be paired with a tweed or structured blazer along with a few long necklaces styled with fitted trousers or a skirt to create a chic look that works not only for the office but for after work drinks. Don't forget your heels." Saray also suggests pairing a T-shirt with a cardigan. "Look for one that's longer in the front and fitted in the back."
2. A classic pair of dark jeans: "I love dark denim [jeans], they can always be dressed up with just about anything. One of my favorite looks: Roll up the hem (twice) pair it with a relaxed blazer, fitted top and a great pair of heels. This is the look where the shoes are the main focus; select a smooth silhouette of a heel, anything bulky will add volume to your silhouette. And of course play up your jewelry."
3. A mini skirt: "Mini skirts are tricky. I would stick with printed or dark solids for the office. One of my favorite looks is to pair a colored mini skirt with tights that have a design [ex: lace tights or ones with bows in the back]. Keep your top simple, the main focus of this look is the tights. Style it with ankle booties or heels, keep the jewelry simple by wearing a cocktail ring and a bracelet. "
4. A pencil dress: "Pencil dresses are a great staple. With this look pair two long necklaces, great pumps, and a fitted or structured blazer. If you must wear tights, keep it simple, opaque or a pair in the same color of your dress for black or navy ones. Another great look is to style the dress with a pair of classic tall boots."
5. A sundress: "Sundresses are great during the summer, make it work for your job: Keep it simple, make sure it's not too short, keep the shoes a muted color and style with a fitted colored cardigan or blazer. Be bold with the cardigan/blazer and play with the colors. Finish the look with some great large stone jewelry." Also, a belt worn over a sundress and cardigan can help accentuate your waist.
And viola! You just transformed some of your most basic pieces into some work-friendly outfits!
Image via ThinkStock Images
What kind of casual pieces do you like to incorporate into your office look?
When I used to work, I would wear my dark jeans. It was fun to coordinate my blouses with the jeans and some heels.
Aww I miss dressing up at my job we have to wear scrubs
The nature of my job typically has me dressed in casual all the time. I wish I had a job that had me "dressing up".
Thank you for the tips!
You're welcome. : )
Thank you for the tips!
i wear my scrubs everyday i work in an hospital
Help another mom with her question:
Getting Started Guide|
Terms of Service
Part of the CafeMom family of sites
© 2014 CMI Marketing, Inc. All rights reserved.