Welcome to MamásLatinas
join our community and talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

What is your preferred language?

English Español
I'm bilingual

By signing up, you certify that you are female, at least 16 years old, and accept the Terms of Service

Que podemos hacer contra la obecidad de ninos? What can we do against childhoos obesity?

• 42 Replies
  • 1 mom liked this

Como Hispanos, tenemos unos de los mas altos porcentajes de ninos que padecen de obesidad.  Esto es a causo de el tipo de comida que les damos a nuestros hijos y la falta de actividad fisica.  Un nino que padece de obesidad es mas probable de serlo tambien como adulto, y tambien puede padecer de la alta cholesteol, pression alta y diabetes.  Como enfermera que ha trabajado con ninos, me sorprendi al darme cuenta que hasta ninos de 8 anos tambien padecen de alta cholesterol.  Que podemos hacer como mamas para asegurar la salud de nuestros hijoitos?  Espero sus respuestas y despues comparto mas informacion.

As Hispanics, we have one of the highest rates of childhood obesity.  This is due to the types of food we give to our children and the lack of physical activity.  An obese child is also more likely to carry that obesity into adulthood, and can also suffer from high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes.  As a  pediatric nurse, I was so surprised to find that even 8 yr old children had high cholesterol.  What can we do as mothers to ensure the good health of our children?  Can't wait to see your answers and I'll share more info.  

Replies (1-10):
Anonymous

I think it's common sense that healthy eating habits start at home.  I try to make sure to buy plenty of fruit and veggies for the kids to eat and not too much processed foods.  

I know that kids can be very picky but we have a rule at home: You can't say you don't like something until you've tasted it at least once.  And they know that they can't get up until they've eaten everything on their plate.  Thanks to that rule, they've acquired a taste for foods that most kids are famous for not liking.  The love to eat their greens, especially broccoli.  They love mushrooms too.  And they're not as picky as they used to be.

We get comments from waitresses at restaurants when they order fruits or veggies with their meals instead of fries or other things that aren't as healthy.  People are always surprised at them.

I think if parents paid more attention to what their kids eat and what they do in their free time, things would be different.  More playing outside less TV.

dinah

I really commend you for that.  What I learned from my nutrition classes is that CHILDREN WILL EAT WHAT YO UTEACH THEM TO EAT.   i AM PROOF AND MY KIDS ARE PROOF OF THAT.  I think that through education we can change things especially in our culture.  I struggle with my family on this one, my aunts, cousins, grandparents.  We don't eat much Mexican food at home because of all the carbs and grease, it's just not good for you.  I can't it through their heads that you don't need to eat a pound of tortillas w/ every meal.  They talk all they want about me.  None of my 4 children have any weight issues nor high cholesterol.  I have 4 kids and have maintained a great weight that I am very proud 115.  Don't get me wrong, I love Mexican food, but I eat it in moderation and sporadically.  We eat whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, and lean meats-mostly fish and chicken.  My nephews only eat chicken nuggets and kool aide.  I was beside myself that he gets kool aide in a bottle.  Oh and I won't even start on their dental issues.  Thanks for responding.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's common sense that healthy eating habits start at home.  I try to make sure to buy plenty of fruit and veggies for the kids to eat and not too much processed foods.  

I know that kids can be very picky but we have a rule at home: You can't say you don't like something until you've tasted it at least once.  And they know that they can't get up until they've eaten everything on their plate.  Thanks to that rule, they've acquired a taste for foods that most kids are famous for not liking.  The love to eat their greens, especially broccoli.  They love mushrooms too.  And they're not as picky as they used to be.

We get comments from waitresses at restaurants when they order fruits or veggies with their meals instead of fries or other things that aren't as healthy.  People are always surprised at them.

I think if parents paid more attention to what their kids eat and what they do in their free time, things would be different.  More playing outside less TV.

lilnena98
1 mom liked this

Eating habits are taught at home. I don't make fry food and don't eat tortillas everyday. I have learned alternative ways to make chicken nuggets or chile rellenos in the oven vs frying. both my boys eat plenty of fruit. I admit my oldest doesn't eat veggies, but it all started when my husband deployed and he refused to eat alot of stuff. So what I do is blend up the vegetables and put it in the food!!

Getting kids outdoors or playing sports is vital for them. My oldest is in karate and we are putting my youngest in socer in the fall.

dinah

please pass me your chile relleno recipe...

Quoting lilnena98:

Eating habits are taught at home. I don't make fry food and don't eat tortillas everyday. I have learned alternative ways to make chicken nuggets or chile rellenos in the oven vs frying. both my boys eat plenty of fruit. I admit my oldest doesn't eat veggies, but it all started when my husband deployed and he refused to eat alot of stuff. So what I do is blend up the vegetables and put it in the food!!

Getting kids outdoors or playing sports is vital for them. My oldest is in karate and we are putting my youngest in socer in the fall.

Pancha1122

As someone who has struggled with weight, I can tell you that I do not want my daughter to go through what I'm going through.  My problem is I love love love sweets.  So, one change I did is remove junk from my house.  There are no cookies, ice cream, or sugary cereals in my home.  We have lots of fruit.  My daughter loves apples and grapes.  She does not care for ice cream nor cake. 

I think teaching them good healthy habits from the get go, is the key.  It's really hard to do it when they're older. 

My daughter loves green salads.  She's only two.  She gets "candy" (her vitamins) once a day.  Juice is a treat in our home.  We drink water.

We DO NOT buy sodas or fruit punch type of drinks.  It's water or natural juice. 

But one thing that I'd love to change is our eating out.  We eat out almost EVERYDAY.  

Mayra111

Que podemos hacer? No le compren juegos, y participen mas en actividades que  ayuden al desarrollo mental y de paso quemaran calorias.

libelulalatina

Te creo en eso de ninos pequenos con alto colesterol, tengo un sobrino que esta pasando por eso, y mi hermana esta batallando para que baje de peso y coma mas saludable.

Creo que tambien la genetica tiene mucho que ver, y que aunque algo comun es asociar a un nino "gordito" con obesidad o enfermedades, tambien es cierto que hay ninos flaquitos (como adultos) que pudieran estar sufriendo de eso.

Creo que en cuanto a la alimentacion, asi como el ejercicio, todo es aprendido en casa. Uno puede decir muchas palabras, pero definitivamente los ejemplos hablan mas que eso. Si yo le digo a mi hija "ve a correr, sal a jugar, ve a andar en bici" y yo me la paso sentadota, obvio no va a querer ir. Pero en cambio, si las dos vamos juntas, o hacemos actividades al mismo tiempo, es mas facil que sin necesidad de decirle lo haga.

dinah

Change one thing at a time.  Most of my friends that are overweight, in part blame their parents.  They say their mothers should have never let them eat like they did as children.  But yet again, it's a culture thing.  My grandmother thinks a baby is only healthy when he's rollie polly.  When it's quite the opposite.  I agree, I really watch what my daughters, all my kids eat.  I would never want my girls to have a problem w/ their weight.  If I teach them healthy eating habits now, and how to take care of themselves, hopefully they will carry that w/ them into their adult life.  But kuddos to you for teaching your daughter to eat well.  Maybe when you guys eat out slowly start making better food choices.  Most restaurants now a days offer a healthy meal or two.  

Quoting Pancha1122:

As someone who has struggled with weight, I can tell you that I do not want my daughter to go through what I'm going through.  My problem is I love love love sweets.  So, one change I did is remove junk from my house.  There are no cookies, ice cream, or sugary cereals in my home.  We have lots of fruit.  My daughter loves apples and grapes.  She does not care for ice cream nor cake. 

I think teaching them good healthy habits from the get go, is the key.  It's really hard to do it when they're older. 

My daughter loves green salads.  She's only two.  She gets "candy" (her vitamins) once a day.  Juice is a treat in our home.  We drink water.

We DO NOT buy sodas or fruit punch type of drinks.  It's water or natural juice. 

But one thing that I'd love to change is our eating out.  We eat out almost EVERYDAY.  

dinah

Creo que la dieta que les ofrecemos es muy importante.  Y como padres tenemos que poner el ejemplo.  Es como el papa boracho que le dice a su hijo que no tome.  Hay que practicar lo que ensenamos.

Quoting Mayra111:

Que podemos hacer? No le compren juegos, y participen mas en actividades que  ayuden al desarrollo mental y de paso quemaran calorias.

dinah

Exacto, como padres tenemos que poner el ejemplo.  Claro que tambien los flacos tienen problemas de salud.  Pero  la obesidad es un problema aun mas grande que eso.  Y es totalmente prevenible.  Los genes de uno si contribuyen al cholesterol alto, pero casi siempre si uno controla su peso, basta este problema, y tambien la alta presion y muchas veces el diabetes.  Como enfermera tube el privilegio de atender un discurso de un doctor que dijo que lo que comemos de ninos no necesariamente nos afecta ahora, sino que tambien en 20, 30 y 40m anos despues.  Fue tan interesante lo que dijo.  Despues tengo que ver mis notas por que mucho ya se me olvido.  Ji ji ji.

Quoting libelulalatina:

Te creo en eso de ninos pequenos con alto colesterol, tengo un sobrino que esta pasando por eso, y mi hermana esta batallando para que baje de peso y coma mas saludable.

Creo que tambien la genetica tiene mucho que ver, y que aunque algo comun es asociar a un nino "gordito" con obesidad o enfermedades, tambien es cierto que hay ninos flaquitos (como adultos) que pudieran estar sufriendo de eso.

Creo que en cuanto a la alimentacion, asi como el ejercicio, todo es aprendido en casa. Uno puede decir muchas palabras, pero definitivamente los ejemplos hablan mas que eso. Si yo le digo a mi hija "ve a correr, sal a jugar, ve a andar en bici" y yo me la paso sentadota, obvio no va a querer ir. Pero en cambio, si las dos vamos juntas, o hacemos actividades al mismo tiempo, es mas facil que sin necesidad de decirle lo haga.