Should children know the National Anthem if Steven Tyler Doesn't? (VIDEO)

• 10 Replies

I found this in ¿Qué Más?

Should children know the National Anthem if Steven Tyler Doesn't? (VIDEO)

Posted by Jenny Mero on January 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Over the weekend, Steven Tyler sang the national anthem at the Baltimore Ravens vs. New England Patriots game, and he messed up the words a little.

Though there was more fuss about his pitch (yes, it was that bad!) than his blip, it raises the question about whether our children should know the words to the Star-Spangled Banner and the Pledge of Allegiance.

Growing up during the Cold War meant that many school-agers recited the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in class. I was one of them. It instilled national pride in many youngsters during a time our country needed it. The Pledge of Allegiance and the Star-Spangled Banner still give me goosebumps.

My son’s school is not in the practice of saluting the flag every morning, and something tells me not many schools do either. Based on conversations with other parents whose children attend public and private schools, a tight curriculum makes it hard to fit in pledging.  Instead, my son's exposure mostly comes from singing loudly and proudly at sporting events.  

In an era where immigration and citizenship are hot topics, should we make sure our Latino children know the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star-Spangled Banner?

Replies (10) displaying 1-10
DyanaJay

I don't think NEED to know them but it's good if they do.  I think it's important that they have respect for this country.

Krise

oh man, yeah he did horrible!

Not a need, but yes I think my kids should know it. They do.

JCTVCBN

Quoting DyanaJay:

I don't think NEED to know them but it's good if they do.  I think it's important that they have respect for this country.

sophiesmom07

I think it's a good thing for children to take pride in their country and know they song. I think Steven Tyler should have taken the time to learn the correct words.

renee4212

I agree. 

It is a matter of national pride and patriotism. So yes, I think children NEED to learn the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem. I am thankful that in the schools my children attend, the Pledge of Allegiance is still taught and recited, hand over heart every day.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

I think it's a good thing for children to take pride in their country and know they song. I think Steven Tyler should have taken the time to learn the correct words.

^*Renee*^

Jeannetteg

I think all Americans should know the National Anthem.

ctouzet

I agree & my kids' school also still recites it daily as well as all town sporting events.  What a disappointment of any artist that is given such an honor to sing the anthem & then let us down by not taking the time to learn the words.  Shame on all of them.

Quoting renee4212:

I agree. 

It is a matter of national pride and patriotism. So yes, I think children NEED to learn the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem. I am thankful that in the schools my children attend, the Pledge of Allegiance is still taught and recited, hand over heart every day.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

NatVee45

Every American citizen and resident should know and NEED TO KNOW the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem--no ands, ifs or buts. If my child didn't know either, I would be so ashamed but that is not going to happen!!!! 

Steven Tyler is in his 60s and doesn't know the words, that is so embarrassing.

*Natalie*  

renee4212

Very well said.

Quoting NatVee45:

Every American citizen and resident should know and NEED TO KNOW the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem--no ands, ifs or buts. If my child didn't know either, I would be so ashamed but that is not going to happen!!!! 

Steven Tyler is in his 60s and doesn't know the words, that is so embarrassing.

^*Renee*^

RachelinAZ

Does anyone know why "patriotic" stuff stopped? When I was a kid we pledged allegiance to the flag, plus we knew (and I still know) tons of songs.  When and why did "we" stop?

I do think all Americans should know the pledge (leave out "and under God" if need be).